fot

[Fot] Starter Solenoid

Subject: [Fot] Starter Solenoid
From: duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com (Duncan Charlton)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 20:28:08 -0500
Unless?

We?ve had two cars that had starting problems that were cured by using a second
solenoid.  The actual problem with both was most likely due to a voltage loss
between the battery, the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.

The Ford solenoid requires very low voltage (something like 2 volts) to engage,
whereas the one on my (German) Opel 1900 and the one on the 1978 Datsun 280Z
clearly required a lot more.  I could short across the big terminals to get the
car to start, so I knew the starter motor and the integrated solenoid were both
good.

Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas USA