fot

[Fot] piston/head clearance

Subject: [Fot] piston/head clearance
From: rkrantz77 at comcast.net (Ron KRANTZ)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:14:26 -0400 (EDT)
I will chime in with my experience on Spitfires. Bill is right in regards to
the importance of flame front and complete combustion. When I remove a head the
first thing I look at is the top of the pistons. If there is black carbon build
up or shiny areas around the edges you are leaving Hp on the table.
Flame travel is not only dependent on piston/head clearance but also combustion
chamber contours. Just like in the intake runners, air/fuel does not like sharp
corners. After a head is decked I go back in and put a lead in radius on the
squish area and a matching radius on the piston dome/popup to get 0.030"
clearance. Piston design is another hole topic. I will just say that I leave an
area for the flame front to travel to the piston OD.
Complete combustion is a much more complex subject. Cam timing, fuel mixture,
ignition timing, combustion chamber design, even exhaust header design can
influence how complete the combustion is. An engine is an air pump, Air/fuel in
and exhaust gases out. The more "fresh" air/fuel in, the more potential power
produced. We are talking about 4 cycle engines so flame travel and combustion
is only 25% of the complete process. Once you maximize complete combustion on
your current combination of components, you need to look at where the choke is
in the system. The choke is whatever is limiting flow through the engine.
Typically on Spitfires it is valve size in SCCA. Thus you need to push more air
in and push/suck more air out (intake /exhaust cycles). Then with all that
extra air you need to add more fuel and you are back to where this started.
Ron Krantz
ReK Racing