fot

[Fot] Dowel pinning Spitfire crank/flywheel

Subject: [Fot] Dowel pinning Spitfire crank/flywheel
From: tr4abrad at gmail.com (Brad Eells)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 21:07:53 -0800
Matthieu,

I have recently acquired a 1296 Spitfire Mk3. This was a highly competitive
car in the early to mid '70's.

I recently spoke to a friend of the driver/owner.

He said that he always double pinned the crank (I have 5 spares I have not
yet examined). He used a special 'unobtainium' steel, likely used to
develop some very special rear axles for the car.

His engines (per Kas) were developing 125 hp and running above 8000 rpm.

If you are developing an engine to that spec or planning to run it at very
high rpm, the double pin comes highly recommended...

Cheers,

Brad

*Brad Eells*
*Chino CA*