fot

[Fot] Fuel Cells

Subject: [Fot] Fuel Cells
From: billdentin at aol.com (Bill Dentinger)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 13:15:39 -0500
Amici...

I started vintage racing in 1980.  At the time the Vintage Sports Car Drivers
Association (VSCDA) was a stickler on being 'era correct'.  They wanted race
cars in their grids to be 'just like the manufacturer built them.  I think the
first time I raced with Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA), they
required a fuel cell.  In an effort to keep the car looking era correct, I had
a custom fuel cell built into the stock fuel tank behind the TR3's 'rear seat'.
 Doing so was not particularly expensive, and it avoided chopping up the floor
of the boot.  Of course, packaging and shipping was an issue.  If I remember
correctly, I did have to send it back twice (down through the years) when Tech
Inspectors asked to have it re-certified.  Again, the packaging and shipping
issues, were greater than the recertification costs.

And, of course, as time went by, the VSCDA had to change its position on race
car preparation.  There were clear safety issues to consider, plus most other
sanctioning bodies were far more liberal in what was allowed and what was not.
VSCDA had to do likewise, if it expected to attract entrants.

Bill Dentinger