Production Standards and restorations

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Production Standards and restorations
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:44:18 EDT
In a message dated 7/31/05 5:06:24 PM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> Though it is
> possible for a BN6 to have gone out the door at Abingdon with the earlier
> style seats, I would certainly not be one who would restore my early BN6
> with that early seat unless there was pretty substantial proof that it was
> fitted to that particular car. That is where careful research in the
> restoration process comes in.

Rich is making an important point about the research/restoration process that
is worth reinforcing.
When members of the Concours committee inspect a car, we will always give the
benefit of the doubt to a person who says "I know what the parts manual and
concours guidelines say, but I believe this particular car had that part on it
from new based on its history and date of assembly, and here's my proof in the
form of pictures of the car when I disassembled it."
On the other hand, if someone says, "Gee, the car didn't have that part on it
when I got it, that's the part that Moss sent me, and anyhow, the factory
just used any part they happened to have around when they made the cars, so who
can say that it's inaccurate," we take a different view and will probably
deduct for originality.
If you're in doubt about what version of a part your car was equipped with
originally, we suggest you stick to the guidelines and original factory parts
lists, and even go to the extra trouble of finding and re-conditioning an
original part if reproductions are not available or inaccurate. That way,
you'll be
much more likely to be correct.
Hope that distinction is clear.
Cheers