Speedo Quits '65 BJ8

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo Quits '65 BJ8
From: "Doug Newton" <dnewton@nappco.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:54:40 -0500
Good Afternoon Group-

Last week I asked you folks for some speedometer help and I hate to bring it
up a second time, but it stopped working again and I'm confused as to where
my problem               (or problems) lie.

>From the time I bought my car the speedo did not work. I disconnected the
cable from the speedometer, and when driving, the cable did not turn in the
housing.

Two weekends ago, I removed the trans tunnel and right angle drive. I
examined the r/a drive and short stubby cable inside the drive and
reinstalled the drive on the trans. Before I connected the speedo cable to
the right angle drive, I connected it to the speedometer and spun the trans
end of the speedo cable between my fingers and the speedometer needle moved.
I then connected the speedo cable to the r/a drive and although the
speedometer registered 15-20 MPH too high, it did work.

When you folks replied to the initial request, most of you figured that the
speedo needed repair and/or re-calibration, to which I agreed.

Now, the speedometer stopped working again and after disconnecting the
speedo cable from the speedometer, the cable won't turn in the housing when
driving the car; I'm back to square one.

With all that said, here's my question:

Based on what is going on, it sounds like I have more than one problem,
meaning the right angle drive AND the speedometer? Do you folks agree?

Please advise- Doug

PS- I have not tried disconnecting the speedo cable from the r/a drive again
to see if the gauge will operate when the cable is spun between my fingers.