Re: Mechanical advance

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Mechanical advance
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:37:28 +0800
David -

If you still have stuttering at high temperatures, and all of your
ignition stuff checks out, I would highly recommend giving your fuel
system a complete going over, you may be getting a version of vapor
lock or clogged fuel lines (dirty filter?)

If I recall, the fuel pump on a BT7 is on the left hand side under the
left rear seat.  This isn't a very good place for the pump ... heat
can build up here because the exhaust pipes are in the same area.  On
a BN1 & BN2 this set up is even worse, the pump sits right over the
exhaust pipe.

I would try wrapping some header tape around the exhaust pipes on the
section that runs under the seat pan.  This should help if the problem
is vapor lock.

Also check if your fuel pump is super hot after you've driven the car
for a while.  If the diapharm rod is rusty it can cause a massive
build up of heat in the fuel pump, causing it to start seizing when
the car gets hot.  If the fuel pump is super hot... I would inspect
it, rebuild it or replace it.

Also if you have a fuel filter of somekind... make sure it is clean.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8