Re: Locknuts?

To: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>,
Subject: Re: Locknuts?
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:55:00 -0700
re:
"What's the reason behind using a spring washer AND a self-locking nut?"

Lawyers?

re:
"I also noticed that sometimes (as an example: fixing of the Steering
Column Bracket)  a plain washer is used, followed by a spring washer,
followed by a normal nut. In my opinion the spring washer can be left
 out as it wouldn't do anything good to hold the nut."

I'm of the opinion that stacking a spring (lock) washer on a flat washer
does no good, and may even compromise the attachment.  I've been
using Locktite in lieu of a lockwasher in most applications, with or
without a flat washer.  I've been fastening my shocks and other
suspension components this way for several years with excellent
results (use hardened/grade 8 flat washers so they don't squish out
under compression).  The racers on the List should have some
experience with fasteners.

The locking nuts and lockwashers under the spring plate is WAY
overkill; the spring load alone will keep the nuts from loosening.  I
re-use the locking nuts with some blue Locktite.

bs

Subject: Locknuts?