Re: Please ... help with this question about starter motor

To: Alan F Cross <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Please ... help with this question about starter motor
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:10:50 +0800
Hi Alan -

Another person on the list politely pointed out to me that my last
advice to you on the starter was totally wrong & backwards.  I was the
one getting confused with gear reduction starters.  Although I've
rebuild several Healey starters, I haven't done one in 10 years so my
memory is fading me on this... sorry about this.

The pinion gear does go on the shaft with the beveled edge facing the
starter motor.  The assembly sequence on the shaft should be (from the
end):

Nut -> pinion spring -> pinion gear & wormed barrel -> retaining
spring(the small one) -> motor.

Best Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8