Re: "The Sports Car Engine"

To: Michael Gladwin <michaelgladwin@mac.com>, Austin-Healey List
Subject: Re: "The Sports Car Engine"
From: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:43:07 -0800
Mike,

"Sports Car Graphic" magazine (1962-63 period) had some articles on the HSC
cars - one, I remember,  was called "Slugger on the Dyno". The 3000 was VERY
successful - eleven 1sts out of 12 races one year - without teardown. Their
MGB had to be rebuilt after almost every race.  "Sports Car Illustrated" had
at least one article on the Rudd conversion.

I haven't done my engine yet (62 BT7 - am original owner) but am planning on
a BJ8 cam and triple HD6s, for a modest increase - I figure it should fall
somewhere between a real BJ8, and the Ruddspeed, perhaps 160hp.

You can also swap rear ends. Our cars have the 3.9, but can use the 4.1 of
the 100-6. Or, if you plan a lot of touring, switch to the 3.55 (hard to
find - but I have a nearly new original pumpkin set aside).

Of course we cannot get the gas we used to - my car always ran its' best on
Associated's  "Flying A" 101 octane.

Dick Hosmer