Re: [Healeys] Vapor lock gas

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <YNOTINK@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Vapor lock gas
From: Bluehealey <bluehealey@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 18:23:52 +0100
Cc: Healeys@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-86F7DD8D-3D5B-4207-BCE3-8D71CCE60D5B
        charset=utf-8

Welcome to my world.  That is around the normal price of fuel here in the UK=
.

Alan - from my iPad

> On 7 May 2021, at 17:47, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <YNOTINK@msn.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> During my jaunt to the west coast meet in Parksville, BC in 2012 I indulge=
d in a tank of Premium non-ethanol fuel. As I recall it was priced by the li=
ter and calculated to about $6.50 per gallon. The car loved it. The card, no=
t so much...
hat
>>> time. Also during that time period, methanol gasoline blends containing a=
s much as 5 vol% with co-solvent alcohols were
>>> commercially introduced in Europe and the U.S.A. Because carburetted fue=
l systems with older elastomer parts were part of
>>> vehicle fleets on the road at that time and had limited ability to handl=
ed high oxygen content in the fuel, the fully commercial
>>> methanol blends were generally limited to 3 to 5 vol% of the gasoline bl=
end with some co-solvents also added to provide fuel
>>> stability. However, with today=E2=80=99s modern pressurised fuel injecto=
r systems using feedback control loops and also using more
>>> advance fuel system materials, current experience suggests that methanol=
 blends as high as 15 vol% (M15) of the gasoline
>>> blend with adequate co-solvents and corrosion inhibitors can now be succ=
essfully used in today=E2=80=99s more modern vehicles in
>>> use today. Many provinces in China have been commercially using M15 blen=
ds as early as 2005, and China=E2=80=99s M15 use has
>>> been expanding because of very favourable economics compared to higher c=
ost petroleum fuels."
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 11:03 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote=
:
>>> re: "Methanol[sic] lowers the boiling point ..."
>>>=20
>>> Typo?
>>>=20
>>>=20
ssues with modern fuels. Methanol lowers the boiling point of petrol to a po=
int where it becomes a problem.=20
ove the exhaust pipe, hot air heats them. The fuel in the suction side of th=
e pump has, effectively, a lower boiling point than it would at atmospheric p=
ressure. This fuel tends to boil if there isn't sufficient air circulation t=
o keep the pump and lines cooled, as occurs while stopped in traffic on a ho=
t day. True vapor lock occurs because the pump will not pump  sufficient vol=
ume of vapour to exceed the rate of its production by the boiling process.
e jet are very close to the exhaust manifold.=20
 is moving at a reasonable pace the incoming air through the grille and arou=
nd the radiator is sufficient to maintain the carburetor at a low enough tem=
perature to prohibit boiling but, again when stopped in traffic this doesn't=
 happen.
g sleeve from a modern car's AC hose over the fuel line from the tank to the=
 pump.
teel to shield as much as possible of the carburetors from the radiated heat=
. This has helped considerably but not completely eliminated the problem.=20=

 found that fuel delivery issues, although not completely eliminated, are ma=
nageable.=20
ehind the grille to see how much difference that makes but if course that wi=
ll be visible.
 On my Bn1 which is M spec with carbs, advance distributed, LeMans Cam and P=
istons has always suffered from what I call vapor lock of gas. Especially in=
 hot weather .=20
 play a role but I could be wrong . I have asked other owners and they seem m=
ost of them not to have same problem. I do have a heat sheild added with lit=
tle result.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michae=
lsalter@gmail.com
>>>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/blueheal=
ey@gmail.com
>=20

--Apple-Mail-86F7DD8D-3D5B-4207-BCE3-8D71CCE60D5B
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Welcome to my world. &nbsp;That is around t=
 17:47, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE &lt;YNOTINK@msn.com&gt; wrote:<br><br></blockquot=

lged in a tank of Premium non-ethanol fuel. As I recall it was priced by the=
 liter and calculated to about $6.50 per gallon. The car loved it. The card,=
 not so much...</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
le=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys-bou=
nces@autox.team.net&gt; on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;bspidell@comcast.net&gt=
;<br>
ll@comcast.net&gt; wrote:<br>
s to the corn lobby). Dunno about Canada.</div>
haelsalter@gmail.com&gt; wrote:<br>
ize:small">
ize:small">
ize:small">
Have I got that wrong Bob?</div>
ize:small">
ize:small">
<i>"Following the crude oil price shocks of the 1970=E2=80=99s, methanol ble=
nds for use in the onroad<br>
vehicle fleet began extensive studies in the later 1970=E2=80=99s and the 19=
80=E2=80=99s. Based on<br>
this early research, methanol blends containing up to 15 vol% (M15) were suc=
cessfully<br>
operated by automakers or oil companies in a number of large vehicle fleet t=
rials (<br>
~ 1000 vehicles each) in Sweden, Germany, New Zealand and China during that<=
br>
time. Also during that time period, methanol gasoline blends containing as m=
uch as 5 vol% with co-solvent alcohols were<br>
commercially introduced in Europe and the U.S.A. Because carburetted fuel sy=
stems with older elastomer parts were part of<br>
vehicle fleets on the road at that time and had limited ability to handled h=
igh oxygen content in the fuel, the fully commercial<br>
methanol blends were generally limited to 3 to 5 vol% of the gasoline blend w=
ith some co-solvents also added to provide fuel<br>
stability. However, with today=E2=80=99s modern pressurised fuel injector sy=
stems using feedback control loops and also using more<br>
advance fuel system materials, current experience suggests that methanol ble=
nds as high as 15 vol% (M15) of the gasoline<br>
blend with adequate co-solvents and corrosion inhibitors can now be successf=
ully used in today=E2=80=99s more modern vehicles in<br>
use today. Many provinces in China have been commercially using M15 blends a=
s early as 2005, and China=E2=80=99s M15 use has<br>
been expanding because of very favourable economics compared to higher cost p=
etroleum fuels."</i></div>
ize:small">
<i><br>
</i></div>
ize:small">
M<br>
ize:small">
pidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>bspidell@comcast.net</a>&=
gt; wrote:<br>
r-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204); padding-left:1ex">
Typo?<br>
el delivery issues with modern fuels. Methanol lowers the boiling point of p=
etrol to a point where it becomes a problem.&nbsp;
e directly above the exhaust pipe, hot air heats them. The fuel in the sucti=
on side of the pump has, effectively, a lower boiling point than it would at=
 atmospheric pressure. This fuel
 tends to boil if there isn't sufficient air circulation to keep the pump an=
d lines cooled, as occurs while stopped in traffic on a hot day. True vapor l=
ock occurs because the pump will not pump&nbsp; sufficient volume of vapour t=
o exceed the rate of its production
 by the boiling process.</div>
assage to the jet are very close to the exhaust manifold.&nbsp;</div>
 when the car is moving at a reasonable pace the incoming air through the gr=
ille and around the radiator is sufficient to maintain the carburetor at a l=
ow enough temperature to prohibit
 boiling but, again when stopped in traffic this doesn't happen.</div>
g a insulating sleeve from a modern car's AC hose over the fuel line from th=
e tank to the pump.</div>
 galvanized steel to shield as much as possible of the carburetors from the r=
adiated heat. This has helped considerably but not completely eliminated the=
 problem.&nbsp;</div>
le and I have found that fuel delivery issues, although not completely elimi=
nated, are manageable.&nbsp;</div>
ng air from behind the grille to see how much difference that makes but if c=
ourse that will be visible.</div>
bsp;</div>
Fleming, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ahmg@aol.com"; target=3D"_blank">ahmg@aol.com<=
/a>&gt; wrote:<br>
r-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204); padding-left:1ex">
Michael , I thought you maybe have experience this ans have a solution . On m=
y Bn1 which is M spec with carbs, advance distributed, LeMans Cam and Piston=
s has always suffered from what I call vapor lock of gas. Especially in hot w=
eather .
I am assuming the heat is from<br>
Manifold and it placement near carbs or fuel pump/ battery near exhaust play=
 a role but I could be wrong . I have asked other owners and they seem most o=
f them not to have same problem. I do have a heat sheild added with little r=
esult.<br>
I am at a loss as to<br>
What to do<br>
Next , but have you experienced this and have any suggestions. Are my assump=
tions<br>
Correct on heat causing the issue.&nbsp; Could today=E2=80=99s quality if ga=
s be a issue?<br>
I recall reading this was a common issue for 100=E2=80=99s to have vapor iss=
ues. <br>
Ken<br>
er" target=3D"_blank">
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">
http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/a=
rchive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
am.net</a><br>
/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br=

ttp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bluehealey@gmail.com</span><br>=

--Apple-Mail-86F7DD8D-3D5B-4207-BCE3-8D71CCE60D5B--

--===============7601977254350600488==