Re: [Healeys] FW: New clutch query

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: New clutch query
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 06:07:11 -0700

--------------C4CA4A969D725C4F5F805E90

A bit off-topic, but while the bell housing is on the bench it might be
a good idea to install thread inserts in the threaded holes that fix the
slave cylinder bolts. These tend to get bunged-up with repeated R&R of
the slave cylinder, and it's steel bolts into aluminium holes. I don't
think I'd be comfortable with cutting the upper bolt's head off either;
the slave cylinder is secured by tension and if any threads are exposed
this could cause fretting on the slave cylinder hole (probably not an
issue the way our cars are driven now, but over a hundred thousands of
miles or so).

Not mentioned so far is the lever that operates the release bearing; the
shaft on which said lever pivots gets worn over time, allowing some side
play. My BJ8's lever had noticeable side play at over 200K miles; my dad
didn't think it was a big deal, but I figured it would keep me up at
nights if I didn't replace it. It ended up being a bigger job than it
should have been, given the parts available from the 'usual suspect.'

Shipwright's Disease in action.

On 9/19/2021 10:07 PM, m.g.sharp--- via Healeys wrote:

> [...]
> the drive flange to get the shaft splines to align with the clutch
> plate.   I would never pull it together by winding it on with bolts.
>  Your description that the graunchy noises when shifting are expensive
> sounding is likely correct, so it sounds to me that the gearbox should
> come out again and a thorough inspection is warranted.
>
> In addition to checking that the clutch disc slides on the first
> motion shaft splines _before _assembly, I also always check that the
> pilot bush fits correctly on the end of the shaft.  If these fit
> correctly and the alignment is good, the gâ??box should slip in easily.
> Now, you may have to destroy the bush to get it out of the flywheel,
> but they are inexpensive and the peace of mind (never mind the effort
> to re&re the gâ??box again) makes it worthwhile to do. The pilot bearing
> should be lightly greased before assembly â?? I use a molybdenum grease,
> which I also use sparingly on the splines â?? donâ??t put so much on that
> it flies off and contaminates the clutch plate).  I agree with Richard
> that a spare first motion shaft is a better alignment tool than a
> plastic substitute.
>
> Also, ensure that the bell housing to engine bolts are correctly
> located.  There are two special bolts called â??dowel boltsâ?? (they have
> their own part number that is different to the other bolts) that are
> more precisely machined to locate the bell housing/gearbox accurately
> on the rear engine plate. They can be identified by a shallow groove
> that is machined into the shank just below the head.  They go in the
> top left (11 oâ??clock) and bottom right (5:25) holes (looking at the
> rear on the motor).  See the note on page 97 of the Originality Guide
> (2018) for a full description.  I donâ??t think the workshop manual
> adequately describes these, thinking it is covered under â??replacement
> is the reverse of removalâ??; but you have to be pretty observant to
> note these two bolts on removal!
>
> Three years ago I had an issue with a new Borg&Beck clutch plate and
> had my gâ??box in and out 3 times, so I know how you are feeling, but
> something is wrong and you need to get it right.  When it is together
> again, bolt the driverâ??s seat back in and test drive it before putting
> the rest of the interior in; it saves a bit of work if there is a problem.
>
> Lastly, donâ??t cut the head of the top slave cylinder bolt.  I can
> guarantee you that if this was acceptable engineering practice the
> accountants at the factory would have insisted it be done.  The slave
> cylinder needs to be securely fastened to the bell housing and one
> bolt is not sufficient.  I have probably had mine off 4, maybe 5 times
> in 45 years of ownership, so if it takes me an extra 10 minutes to
> remove, so what?  If extracting inaccessible bolts is a big issue,
> donâ??t buy an English car!  (I just had to re&re the rear drain pipe
> from the intake manifold â?? that is another fun one!).

  <head>
  </head>
    A bit off-topic, but while the bell housing is on the bench it might
    be a good idea to install thread inserts in the threaded holes that
    fix the slave cylinder bolts. These tend to get bunged-up with
    repeated R&amp;R of the slave cylinder, and it's steel bolts into
    aluminium holes. I don't think I'd be comfortable with cutting the
    upper bolt's head off either; the slave cylinder is secured by
    tension and if any threads are exposed this could cause fretting on
    the slave cylinder hole (probably not an issue the way our cars are
    driven now, but over a hundred thousands of miles or so).<br>
    Not mentioned so far is the lever that operates the release bearing;
    the shaft on which said lever pivots gets worn over time, allowing
    some side play. My BJ8's lever had noticeable side play at over 200K
    miles; my dad didn't think it was a big deal, but I figured it would
    keep me up at nights if I didn't replace it. It ended up being a
    bigger job than it should have been, given the parts available from
    the 'usual suspect.'<br>
    Shipwright's Disease in action.<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:004501d7addd$5e954ee0$1bbfeca0$@sympatico.ca">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
            hate to say it, but the clutch should work perfectly after
            it is installed, there is no â??break-inâ??.  The trouble you
            had getting the gâ??box in is troubling.  If everything is
            aligned it  should slip in easily.  I presume, when
            installing, you put it in gear and rotated the drive flange
            to get the shaft splines to align with the clutch plate.   I
            would never pull it together by winding it on with bolts.
             Your description that the graunchy noises when shifting are
            expensive sounding is likely correct, so it sounds to me
            that the gearbox should come out again and a thorough
            inspection is warranted.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            addition to checking that the clutch disc slides on the
            first motion shaft splines <u>before </u>assembly, I also
            always check that the pilot bush fits correctly on the end
            of the shaft.  If these fit correctly and the alignment is
            good, the gâ??box should slip in easily.  Now, you may have to
            destroy the bush to get it out of the flywheel, but they are
            inexpensive and the peace of mind (never mind the effort to
            re&amp;re the gâ??box again) makes it worthwhile to do. The
            pilot bearing should be lightly greased before assembly â?? I
            use a molybdenum grease, which I also use sparingly on the
            splines â?? donâ??t put so much on that it flies off and
            contaminates the clutch plate).  I agree with Richard that a
            spare first motion shaft is a better alignment tool than a
            plastic substitute.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            ensure that the bell housing to engine bolts are correctly
            located.  There are two special bolts called â??dowel boltsâ??
            (they have their own part number that is different to the
            other bolts) that are more precisely machined to locate the
            bell housing/gearbox accurately on the rear engine plate.
            They can be identified by a shallow groove that is machined
            into the shank just below the head.  They go in the top left
            (11 oâ??clock) and bottom right (5:25) holes (looking at the
            rear on the motor).  See the note on page 97 of the
            Originality Guide (2018) for a full description.  I donâ??t
            think the workshop manual adequately describes these,
            thinking it is covered under â??replacement is the reverse of
            removalâ??; but you have to be pretty observant to note these
            two bolts on removal! <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            years ago I had an issue with a new Borg&amp;Beck clutch
            plate and had my gâ??box in and out 3 times, so I know how you
            are feeling, but something is wrong and you need to get it
            right.  When it is together again, bolt the driverâ??s seat
            back in and test drive it before putting the rest of the
            interior in; it saves a bit of work if there is a
problem.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            donâ??t cut the head of the top slave cylinder bolt.  I can
            guarantee you that if this was acceptable engineering
            practice the accountants at the factory would have insisted
            it be done.  The slave cylinder needs to be securely
            fastened to the bell housing and one bolt is not
            sufficient.  I have probably had mine off 4, maybe 5 times
            in 45 years of ownership, so if it takes me an extra 10
            minutes to remove, so what?  If extracting inaccessible
            bolts is a big issue, donâ??t buy an English car!  (I just had
            to re&amp;re the rear drain pipe from the intake manifold â??
            that is another fun one!).<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            luck! Mirek<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
          1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
              lang="EN-US"> Healeys &lt;<a
                href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
              <b>To:</b> Michael Oritt &lt;<a
                href="mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com";
                moz-do-not-send="true">michael.oritt@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
              <b>Cc:</b> Healeys &lt;<a
                href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
              <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] New clutch
query<o:p></o:p></span></p>
              having to force the gearbox when it was 3 to 4 inches away
              from home, it may be the spines in the clutch disc and the
              input shaft were causing some interference.  This should
              have been an easy slip fit.  Did you lubricate the
              spines?  Test fit the disc on the input shaft?
              Installing a gearbox should not be a tedious affair.  Or,
              you did not get the disc properly aligned using the little
              plastic tool.  There is a lot of wiggle room for error.
              I've found that an old input shaft works better than the
              plastic ones for getting good alignment.   <o:p></o:p></p>
              If for some reason the clutch disc is hanging up on the
              input shaft it will not disengage as smoothly as it
              should.  Is this your problem?  It's not clear to me what
              you mean when you say "difficult clutch".<o:p></o:p></p>
              break-in a clutch.<o:p></o:p></p>
              Oritt via Healeys &lt;<a
                href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
            1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0cm;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
style="color:#3333FF">Simon--<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="color:#3333FF"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
                    the head off one bolt to make it easier to R&amp;R
                    the secondary cylinder. I also fashioned a small
                    door in the extension panel to give access to the
                    bleed nipple from inside rather than only under the
                    car.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="color:#3333FF"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
                    Oritt<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  Simon Lachlan via Healeys &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
                1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0cm;margin-bottom:5.0pt">

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">Youâ??ll recall the Overdrive saga.
                        Have decided not to commission  a TV mini-series
                        per someoneâ??s advice.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">1) The overdrive is in and works
                        very well. I havenâ??t tested the pressure yet â?? I
                        will â?? but it clicks in and out very
briskly.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">2) The new clutch kit is in. Hard
                        to get the old bits off until I borrowed that
                        magic tool. Used the black nylon(?) tool from
                        AHSpares as so much handier than the spare
                        original shaft. <o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">3) Putting the gearbox back in was
                        pretty tedious. It would go in all the way
                        except for the last 3 or 4 inches. Took it out
                        again and checked the alignment was 100% which
                        it was. Put it back in, pushed, shoved and
                        cursed. In the end we wound it on with long
                        threaded bolts. I donâ??t want to put in another
                        clutch. Ever.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">4) Now, finally, the
QUESTIONS:-<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">Initially, getting the car into any
                        gear was very graunchy and really the car would
                        have been undriveable. Pedal pressure felt the
                        same as before but nothing was happening except
                        expensive noise. <o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">Although there was no evidence of a
                        loss of fluid â?? why would there be? â?? I bled the
                        clutch. I have fitted the extension tube so it
                        wasnâ??t tricky. That did make a difference but
                        not to the way it was previously.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">So (1) Is it normal for clutches to
                        be difficult at first? A sort of â??breaking-inâ??
                        period??<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">(2) Iâ??ll bleed it again but am
                        drawn to getting a longer push rod for the slave
                        cylinder. Does that make sense? I do have to
                        push the pedal down pretty far.
Comments?<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">(3) Slightly off topic��digging
                        around in my files, I saw a suggestion to cut
                        the head off the top bolt that locates the slave
                        cylinder. Then to Loctite in permanently for use
                        as a dowel peg. ie that bolt is a bit of a PITA
                        and one bolt would suffice. Wouldnâ??t it??
<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">All advice would be very
welcome,<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB">Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
                        lang="EN-GB"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>

--------------C4CA4A969D725C4F5F805E90--

--===============8892458205623508138==