Re: Save The Concrete

To: "Chuck Rothfuss" <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Save The Concrete
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 05:54:18 -0800
I read the Save the Salt editorial by Rick Vesco... and it really was the
absolutely right thing to say at this point.

I know several of you are Not currently receiving Bonneville Racing News (I
love this little paper even has our East Coast stuff in it) so I will take
a moment to summarize what was said.

for the 50th racing season everyone was happy with the Salt and was
bragging that it was back... Rick basically made the point that there is
lots of work to do and the save the salt fund is important to our future...
It may have looked good last year.... however they really didn't get it all
done and most of what we saw was the general favorable weather pattern not
the efforts of the BLM and Rielly Chemicals... they didn't hit the minimum
standards that they set for themselves.

It was Rick's point that it was imperative that we continue to pressure
these two parties to actually save the salt for the long term.

I don't have instant access to Rick's E-mail but he can be found on the
Roadsters web site under racing teams...

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )

----------
> From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
> To: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Save The Concrete
> Date: Wednesday, January 27, 1999 8:25 PM
>
> Hi list,
>
>   I just got this in the mail the other day from Jim McDonald, who's
heading
> up the effort to save the track at Maxton, NC.  Since he's currently
> computerless, I'll pass along this desperate plea for him.  The flyer
reads
> as follows:
>
>                             SAVE THE CONCRETE
>                                  E.C.T.A.
>
>   Plans are in progress for our '99 LSR season at Laurinburg/Maxton.  The
> track is in need of repairs to continue the growth and well being of
E.C.T.A.

>   Many sections have eroded beyond the "Quick Fix" done prior to each
meet.
> Permanent repairs are expensive and can only be accomplished through
donations.

>   We need to start repairs early to be ready for our March opener, so
please
> send your donations ASAP.  All funds will go to track repair.
>
>               If you have any suggestions or questions please call:
>                           Jim McDonald at 910-799-9494
>                           John Beckett at 828-684-3009
>
>                          Please make checks payable to:
>                          East Coast Timing Association
>                               memo: Track Fund
>
>                                   Mail to:
>                               ECTA Track Fund
>                               c/o Jim McDonald
>                           4224 Masonboro Loop Road
>                             Wilmington, NC 28409
>
>                            THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT
>

>   Jim has gotten the ball rolling, now it's up to us.  He's already got
my
> check, and I'll be proud to claim a solidly repaired hunk of the track as
my
> own.  Salt has gotto be tougher to repair than concrete, so this oughto
be
> easy. All we need now are lots of contributors.  How about sponsors?
We've
> got a grand stand planned, and it'll have lots of space for advertising.
> sizeable donation could reserve your company a space.  Anybody know any
pro
> ball players who like fast cars?  Donations could be tax deductable?
Jay?