Re: Work weekend

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Work weekend
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:15:32 -0500
John, Keith, List,

  Today was the first day I've been out of the house since my foot surgery
last Friday.  Sure felt good to get out, but now I'm sore all over from
playing at the shop and junk yard prowling on crutches.  I'd have been next
to useless this weekend anyway.  Maybe I can get you somemore concrete patch
advice, and kick some people in the butt (with my good foot) about helping
us save the Maxton Mile, before the next good work weekend.

  I haven't heard anything more from Keith about possible Hot Rod Magazine
coverage, but they will be just down the road in Rockingham on the weekend
of March 27-28.  Maybe you could call or write Petersen Publishing and see
if they could send someone over to do a story on us.  I'd do it myself, but
YOU are the co-founder and 200 MPH club member.  I think it'd have more
weight coming from you.

  Any more thought to one of those fat sponsorship/advertising deals?  Man,
that would be great!  One big sponsor and we might be able to repave the
whole thing.  Hell, I wouldn't even mind if they wanted to name it after
their business.  "The Terrell Atlantic Corporation Century Twenty-One
Communications Mile."  Hey, that's got a nice ring to it.  Who cares, as
long as they pay the bills!!  Maybe a paving contractor who wants bragging
rights to the fastest mile on the East Coast.  Maybe there are some
advertising professionals lurking on the list that could offer some FREE
advice?

  Any good word from that guy with NC DOT?  Ya know, it's funny that you
should mention FAA regulations.  We used to autocross on an active runway in
Murfreesboro, NC.  Whenever we'd get the word we would run out and clear a
few cones off the course and let the planes land.  That's why I brought up
the other runways.  The FAA regs might have a lot to do with jet aircraft
too.  They don't take kindly to anybody that might leave things (Jim's Iron
Duke pistons come to mind!) on the runway.  Anyway, they resurfaced their
runway, and haven't invited us back.

  I know what it's like to lose a race site, and with Maxton being the only
one of it's kind on the entire East Coast I sure don't want to lose it.  It
won't get any better without everyones help.  If you can't haul concrete or
provide labor at the track PLEASE send money.  Every little bit helps.

Chuck "One legged man..." Rothfuss