Re: Fire system plumbing

To: "Chuck Rothfuss" <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fire system plumbing
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 01:31:30 -0800
wonderful point... I am painting the hell out of everything on this rag of
a car.. hey Wal-Mart had a special.. it is every color in the Rainbow...
J/K but seriously the aircraft I flew had lots of special requirements...
but mostly they had to have paint on parts to be protected... the car when
I bought it had very little paint on the bottom... and one trip to the salt
tells me that a fells couldn't make a worse mistake.... so now everything
is getting a really good coat of paint.. I am sure it will rust all the
same... but at least I gave it a good try...

I am really worried about my new truck and the effects of a week on the
salt with it... anyone out there done anything that worked on a new
vehicle?.... I really didn't want to undercoat it... if it comes back to
bad I will simply trade it in on another.... and let it go down the Road
only to destroy the next new one in 2000

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )

----------
> From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
> To: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Fire system plumbing
> Date: Thursday, March 11, 1999 8:02 PM
>
> List,
>
>   How about -4 AN braided stainless hose?  Speedway has it for $4.25 a
foot,
> and I think Jeg's was slightly cheaper.  My system came with it, and it
was
> sure easy to install.  That oughto solve the salt problems.  If you don't
> like braided hose, how about a good coat of paint.  We do something
that's
> similar to the mess at Bonneville when we drive military vehicles onto
the
> beach from landing craft.  A good fresh water wash and a salt water check
of
> the fluids and they're good as new.  I wouldn't try that with my Jeep,
but
> with the CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) paint and heavy
> undercoating that these trucks get we really don't have too much trouble.
> Just a thought.
>
> Chuck Rothfuss
> ECTA
>

> At 07:56 AM 3/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Only problem with steel is it's reaction to salt. Not that alumium
doesn't
> >too, but it's not as bad as that rust.
> >
> >JB
> >
> >At 07:53 PM 3/10/99 -0500, Chuck Rothfuss wrote:
> >>Gents,
> >>
> >>  I've gotto make a couple observations about the use of aluminum tube
for
> >>fire system plumbing.  Aluminum may be light and easy to work with, but
it's
> >>also prone to being squashed.  How many times have you been working on
the
> >>car when you bang things around inside your car?  Helmets, tools, heavy
fuel
> >>cans, the occasional lawn chair.  Doesn't take much to smash an
aluminum
> >>tube enough that it wouldn't allow free halon flow.
> >>
> >>  I know you can't be that concerned about weight to not go with 1/4"
steel
> >>tubing, or even -4 braided steel.  Both of these are a lot better
suited to
> >>the real world inside our cars.  1/4" steel tubing is cheap too at
under $20
> >>for 25 feet.
> >>
> >>  If you really must have 1/4" aluminum tubing I can probably find you
an
> >>aircraft supplier at work tomorrow, but it will be a bit more than $20
for a
> >>25' roll.  Pegasus (800-688-6946) should have all the fittings you
need.

> >>  Hope this helps.
> >>
> >>Chuck "What was that noise?" Rothfuss

Hell I