Champion plugs and tech number

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Champion plugs and tech number
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:21:02 -0600
The guy I talked to at Champion's name was Ron... and he is part of the
High Performance tech department.... He will take info from you over the
phone and tell you the right plug or sets of plugs that will be closest to
correct...  1 800 323-1977

I am not a plug expert as John Beckett can attest... I was walking around
at the last meet trying to get everybody to check my plugs.. but there were
a couple of points he made that were interesting... and I would stongly
recommend that you call him and try his advice... Ed wrote me last night
that this Ron guy was spot on at Bonneville... with his tuning
advice...guess the 33 yrs reading plugs paid off..

the best advice he gave me was to try and get the plug right ... but not to
tune to a spark plug but tune to the Motor.... everyone reads plugs and
sets the motor up to run with that set of plugs... he was saying it should
be the other way around... get a range of plugs and tune the Plugs to the
motor...

additionally he was talking about where the Bluing occurs on a new set of
plugs and said that correctly the bluing on the ground electrode should be
3/32 from the base of the ring circle..... if it was higher or closer to
the center the timing needed to be advanced and if it was closer to the
threads it needed less timing...  dahhhh this only works on a new set of
plugs....

He of course talked a length about the difference in reading a street plug
and a race plug... HELL I KNEW THAT... or I wouldn't be walking around the
pits looking ignorant......

Keith Turk
No expert... but open to learn..
and still a wanna be record holder...