Re: Compression

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "Dave Dahlgren" <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Subject: Re: Compression
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:36:57 -0600
Okay so it won't scare me as much... Keeping The Load off of it with low
Rpm might be a bit of a problem... I have a Doug Nash 4 speed that has a
288 first gear and I suppose we are up to the pushing it off time anyway
with the Tilton Clutch and 325 rear.. along with the 28"tall tires...

My concern about the D motor is that it was a Comp Eliminator motor and was
designed to spin a bunch of RPM for short periods of time.. Ran Really
strong in Drag racing... but it really wasn't designed as a Bonneville
motor... I suppose at some point a motor is a motor... The Longevity factor
is a major concern as was the Big time compression... but What I am hearing
is that the 15:1 should be just fine... The Heads are old 292 castings with
the angle plugs and were done by Hogan... they are or appear to be
extremely well ported and Matched... the intake is opened up to 2.250.. and
they have huge Titanium valves... we are going to touch up the valves
tonight so I should know how huge this evening...

Man is this fun.. and I sure do appreciate all your folks help... Tell me
more about your cosworth and what all of you are doing .... Lets make this
a weeeeee List...

Keith

----------
> [...]
> if you want to get with the program.. At 4200 ft the air pressure is low
> and it will run like 14 to 1 at sea level... Unfortunately it will not
> make the 14/1 sea level power.... The largest problem you have is dyno
> time on the engine with the high compression.. I have considered dyno
> engine with 14.5/1 and then swap pistons for 16 to 1 or more to go to
> salt and run with that.. Unfortunately also is the Cosworth I run you
> can really only get about 14/1 no matter what you do .. Was enough for
> the 2 club for John Goodman but not enough for me.. runs G/GL and G/FL
> have had both records for a while but going for more this year..
> Shooting for 240 as G/FL .. Been over 230 out the back door with
> averages in the 218..224 range.. Many transmission woes keep the car
> back really needs a good working 6 spd. to keep the RPM in the 10-11 k
> range...Hope this helps.
>
> Dave Dahlgren
> Engine Management Systems
>
> Keith Turk wrote:
> >
> > Hey Rich you are right.. that ought to be good enough for the long
> > course...
> >
> > That was one of my goals going into this thing was to drive the Long
course
> > on the salt....
> >
> > I really have kinda set myself up for the possibility of going over two
> > hundred this year... don't know if it is going to happen but I sure
would
> > get a kick out of it...the current record for D GALT is like 219 mph
and I
> > don't really have an aero package that will be helpful there... we did
> > start on the D motor tonight... I am a little worried about the
> > compression... and Cam.. it is really High.. and I am not sure how good
> > that is up there... The motor is around a 15:1 compression and there
isn't
> > much I can do about it.... I really think it would be better in the
12-13
> > range.. any thoughts?
> >
> > Keith
> > 100/4 ... Bugeye... to many Box sprites and this ole Camaro..
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: V4GR@aol.com
> > > To: Land-speed@autox.team.net
> > > Subject: Fwd: Powerfest
Rockingham...boundary="part0_922931505_boundary"
> > > Date: Wednesday, March 31, 1999 5:51 PM
> > >
> > > This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> > >
> > > --part0_922931505_boundary
> > >

> > > --part0_922931505_boundary
> > >
> > > From: V4GR@aol.com
> > > To: johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us
> > > Subject: Re: Powerfest Rockingham...
> > > Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:48:24 EST
> > >
> > > hey Keith--nice going. Its great when something works the way you
planned
> > > isn't it?  Any class that Camaros can run in are tough cause there
are so
> > many
> > > of them.              You should be good for the long course in Aug,
With any
> > luck.
> > > See you there.
        Rich Fox  B/G alt #1104 or maybe 104