Re: Compression

To: kturk@ala.net
Subject: Re: Compression
From: Dave Dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 10:24:04 -0500
  My calculator says 2500 rpm is 22 mph ... Jeez just drive away will
you ..
Push it to 30 or 40 if you want but don't use up too much track farting
around.. The long course is still a drag race.. you run out of track at
the other end.. In my humble opinion you HAVE to be up to 90% of peak
speed at the 2 1/4 or the 3 mile at the very latest if you are going to
use the track to your advantage.  Makes a scary ride at the big end
though as there are zero g's of acceleration out the back and car may
get a little 'floaty'.. I just tell Goodman to hang with it and don't be
such a baby..He hates it when I put more gear in the car and it peaks
early on the course can make for a very uncomfortable time.. Last time
out went 200 going into last mile and 221 going out.. Did not like it a
bit, but another record.... He wants more nitrous and less gear so the
car is still pulling out the back and has positive g's to keep the
chassis settled down..

  The little Cosworth we race is a 2 liter YBM series 306 hp off the
bottle and 450 on the bottle going for a larger hit this year.. 500 on
the juice and see if she will go 240.. Run the engine at 10500 to 11000
RPM in high gear.. Nice engine if a bit high stung does not like to run
under 5000 but will if you treat it gently.. If it were not for the EFI
and other stuff I designed for it would just be 'undrivable'.. I have
been working with John Goodman since 1993 and other than license runs
have always had every run a record run or one that qualified for a new
record around 26 or 28 in a row.. Probably put the jinx on it now but
that is what has been going on with us.. Went to Australia and made 13
runs over the record (ours at 205 as a G/GL) at 211 to 214 and the
clocks never worked on the return runs.. wore out the car engine and my
patience I wanted to take a tire iron to clocks ,timing crew and Dick
Wiiliams but cooler heads prevailed.. I race cars for a living and when
i go to the track i am at work and have no sense of humor about that
sort of thing...

  If anyone is serious about EFI that is what I do for a living and
would be glad to point anyone in the right direction or help where I can
on parts pricing, as long it is serious and not a 'what if' sort of
thing.. This stuff is expensive but does work well..

Regards
Dave Dahlgren
Engine Management Systems