Re: Belt camshaft drives

To: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>,
Subject: Re: Belt camshaft drives
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:11:39 -0700
I will let the experts speak on the subject... but I would note that I had
an incident that would lend me to believe that if the belt drive had been
on the motor at the time... I could have changed Cam timing a tick.. and it
would have salvaged the Meet for me...

When I first ran my current C motor... it was a dead stock 300hp 350 cuin
Chevrolet HP motor.... I had driven it on the autobahn for three years with
no problems... even took it to Moultrie and raced it in an El Camino ....
(121.626mph w/241 gear) The first meet with it in the Camaro... I trashed
two pistons due to fuel starvation and the timing being way to far
advanced....

Bottom line when we rebuilt it we put the cam back in advanced 2 degrees as
it was reported to help that cam in that motor.... Truth be told... it made
it worse... and if I had the Belt drive on that motor I could have retarded
the cam back to it's original setting rather then trying to tune it as it
was.... at that meet we ran 146.889... on a 153 record... with the correct
cam timing I think it would have lived up to it's potential.. of around
155..... and the truth be told... we were at the ragged edge that meet of
my ability to tune it....

Keith