Re: Maxton, Saturday May 8th

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, crothfuss@coastalnet.com
Subject: Re: Maxton, Saturday May 8th
From: "Joseph Timney" <TIMNEYJJ@sterlingdi.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 07:03:40 -0400
I have to jump in and second Chuck's comments. While preping the track with
David at the last meet, I asked him how much time he had spent working on the
track this year. To my astonishment, he answered "Oh, about 130 hours " Now
gentalmen, THAT'S A BUNCH OF TIME!!!

>>> Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com> 05/09 5:42 PM >>>
Fellow ECTA members,

  I just wanted to drop you all a quick note to let you know how the Jim
Biggs Memorial Timing Tower is progressing.  In the early afternoon
Saturday, as I defended my fast time of the day with the Tarheel Sports Car
Club, I noticed a familiar white truck arrive at the tower.  After my final
run, which was well out of the reach of the pesky Miata that was my only
serious competition, I went to see what David was up to.  He had completed
the vinyl siding, had hung the smaller front shutters and was about to
install the rubber roll roofing.  The quality of workmanship is all first
rate, and it's gonna be a great place to watch the action from.  It was just
a little too windy to hang the larger side shutters, but they're ready to go
up any time.  David will be putting out a call for volunteers to paint the
inside of the tower and help with the guard rail installation soon, so I
hope everyone has some vacation days saved up.

  While sitting in grid waiting to make my final pass on the extremely fast
SOLO 2 course (set up on the area where we pit for ECTA events) I happened
across a guy who may have a solution to our radio/computer troubles.  He's a
communication guy, and he said our troubles could probably be eliminated by
installing "ferites" (sp) on the power cords.  I've seen these funny bumps
on lots of computer cords, but I never knew what they were there for.
Apparently they filter out any outside interference, like what we get with
the CB's.  He said he'd bring some clip-on ferites to the next Tarheel
event, but I'll have to have someone else pick them up.  Anyone else out
there on the list that knows anything about EMF radiation and how to keep it
from screwing up computers?

  The June 5 & 6 event is a bit of a conflict for me, since I have events
with both Tarheel and ECTA going both days that weekend.  With the
commanding points lead I enjoy with Tarheel in the season points race I
think I can safely skip that event and enjoy the two days at Maxton.  I'll
try to wring the last few MPH out of the current engine before the new one
is done.

  Maxton is quickly becoming a second home for me, and I'd better watch it
before my wife decides she likes it better when I stay there.  Breaking land
speed records one weekend and setting Fast Time Modified (FTM) on an
autocross course the next is something that makes my ride kinda unique in
either club.  As a little treat for both the USS Wankel and I we're gonna
put on the street tires and drive up to West Virginia next weekend to attend
an East Coast Vintage Datsun gathering.  If my mind hadn't already been made
up to drive the car, the large pool of transmission fluid under the Jeep
(tow vehicle) would've sealed it for me.  I guess I'd better fix that seal.

  Next time you see David Locklear at Maxton take an extra second to thank
him for all his hard work.  He wants to see ECTA grow and flourish, just
like the rest of us, but instead of building and driving a car or bike he's
volunteering his time & labor to make our site better.  If all of us can
pitch in a little cash and even a fraction of the volunteer time that David
has contributed we'll have a smooth race course (maybe even the long
shut-down) with great looking facilities in no time.

Chuck Rothfuss