Re: Points Race

To: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>, "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: Points Race
From: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:08:56
Shoot, guys,
I am not even racing yet and already I can see where there is a lot of
sandbagging going on and maybe a little dishonesty. There are any number of
things which could be considered to make the points race more fair if that
is even a consideration. For instance, you race in the clas in which your
vehicle fits, be it car or bike or truck. No jumping classes to an open
class and setting a record just for the points. In my case. I will have a
C/BMS car and that is the only class in which I should be allowed to race.
Points should be awarded if the current record is broken by some
percentage, say 10%. 100 points if you beat the record by 10%, 90 if by 9%,
down to 10 points for a 1% over record. This puts a premium on trying to
better the existing speed mark. And the mark gets higher and higher. No new
math to figure out the standings. And if there aremultiple entries, the
points work the same. Everybody gets the same treatment. The key is not
permitting any open records to be set at a very low mark. Look at the other
venues and set minimum speeds for a given class. For MAxton, reduce just a
little to be fair.

The key, again is no class jumping and no low open records. I wish I lived
close enough to be able to come to every event and try out some different
scenarios for the points. I would suggest that a trial system be put in
place along side the existing system and see if it works. I am sure that my
simplistic assessment has many bugs..

mayf

At 12:47 PM 5/14/99 -0400, John Beckett wrote:
>       Thanks for the understanding. This is one issue that generates a lot of
>heat, but few workable answers. Were all competitive individuals, or we
>probably wouldn't be involved in LSR or any other sport. So with that in
>mind, really the most important thing should be the "FUN" aspect, and the
>comraderie with our fellow compeditors. Cause there ain't any big bucks to
>be had in this sport.
>
>       John Beckett
>
>At 06:14 AM 5/14/99 -0700, Keith Turk wrote:
>>oh by the way don't misunderstand my frustration with the points thing....
>>
>>I am smart enough to realize no matter what you did .... change wise  to
>>the points... Scotty is smart enough to still beat me.... I mean if we were
>>in a dead tie right now Scotty would set more records and so on and so
>>forth...
>>
>>The only way to have an acceptable Points system is with everyone driving
>>the same car and then you end up with NASCAR.... No thanks... Don't need
>>that kind of aggravation... (love nascar but who needs the sponsors
>>pressure)
>>
>>On the end of the day I have to kick back and realize what I am doing here
>>and this is about FUN .... I think I win the MOST Improved car hands
>>down.... and I think I get credit for consistently improving my times and
>>truly on the end of the day I am very satisfied that I have met the goals I
>>have set for myself...
>>
>>you must have noticed the constant Smile on my face and the joy of going
>>faster.... Hmmm wonderful stuff.... Hot Rodding....
>>
>>Keith Turk
>>Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
>>Camaro ( D Gas Altered )
>>----------
>>> From: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
>>> To: kturk@ala.net
>>> Subject: Re: tires
>>> Date: Thursday, May 13, 1999 4:53 PM
>>>
>>>     I'll have the tires at Maxton in June.
>>>
>>>     A regular T-10 is just fine, but can you find a really close ratio
>>gear?
>>> Are you going to put it in the Healey eventually? If so you'll really
>>> appreciate the close ratio in the faster, lighter car.
>>>     The 5-speed would be great, but can you get a close ratio? The ones I
>>> have seen were wide ratio, and not worth the money for B-ville.
>>>     As far a drive line efficiency from a NASCAR unit...where else could
>>one
>>> find an extra 10, 20 or 30 HP, especially on a maxed out engine.
>>>
>>>     JB

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
1-256-837-1051

http://www.hsv.tis.net/~mayfield

DrMayf@AOL.com
mayfield@traveller.com <<<<preferred

Bonneville Land Speed Racer, '66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)