Re: [Fwd: To Duct or not to Duct, That is the Question...]

To: "dahlgren" <dahlgren@uconect.net>, <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: To Duct or not to Duct, That is the Question...]
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 16:04:29 -0500
I am curious.... how many of these Grand Fathered cars are actually out
there setting records.. and raising the bar so to speak.... if one set a
record in my class I suppose I too would be offended by the inability to
actually reset that record due to someone's unfair advantage....

oh the other hand how many Racing venues have cars that are 25-50 years old
running competitively

or classes for cars that are Old.. interesting thoughts...I have seen lots
of work on some of these old flat heads getting really out of hand... but
that is what it takes to be competitive today in those ranks..
guess that is one of the things that makes Bonneville so appealing to me...
I can test my collected knowledge against all others in MY CLASS.... now to
keep that class on a level playing field... we would have to revert to
NASCAR type rules... and I love the wide open rule book....and the few
minimum rules .... that exist.... personally the tow is too far for me to
take many chances with the rule book.....

enjoying the conversation.... keep it up...

Keith Turk....

----------
> From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
> To: Land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Fwd: To Duct or not to Duct, That is the Question...]
> Date: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 3:20 PM
>
> Sent this to Beth and though it went to whole mail list here is a copy
> for the list...Sorry for the duplicate Beth...
> Dave
>
> dahlgren wrote:
> >
> > Maybe the first thing that has to happen is to put everyone on an even
> > playing field. The illegal cars that are 'granfathered' ought to comply
> > to the class rules.  Seems like a little wink and tip of the hat to
> > someone that has a special car that has an unfair advantage.  This does
> > not happen in any other racing venue that I am aware of.  I hear a lot
> > about wanting to get NEW YOUNGER people involved in the sport. What is
> > the point if the class they want to compete in has some cars that have
> > an unfair advantage.  Does anyone think I could show up with a Winston
> > cup car that is an original '67 Ford with a 427 and tell them it is a
> > Holman and Moody car and should be 'grandfathered' in ? Or a car that
> > was built in the early '90's that has a bigger wing ? Or an Indy car
> > that has a Cosworth in it ?  Most of these grandfathered cars seem to
> > have an advantage that is not easily overcome by some legal
> > modification.  The whole concept is unfair and reeks of a good old boys
> > club.  I realize there is a cost to bring the cars in compliance with
> > the rules, but they are just that, rules.  If you do not follow them,
> > and they are not fair for all, what is the point of having any.  Might
> > as well just run what you brung.  Young racers of today are very smart
> > and they know when they are being treated fairly.  If anyone expects
> > they will show up for the glory of it all and then not have the same
> > rules as everyone else is sadly mistaken. As for the person that has a
> > body style that needs an illegal modification in order to be stable
> > there are only too choices in my mind.  They either have to pick a new
> > body to build a car around or they should be restricted, as a safety
> > measure, to a speed that is below the point of instability and then be
> > allowed to run as an exhibition car.  This is the only racing venue
that
> > I have ever competed in that the 'rules' were only for new cars....
> >
> > My 2 cents worth, if I offended anyone, sorry that was not the point.
> >
> > Dave Dahlgren
> > Engine Management Systems
> > Mystic,CT.
> >
> > Beth Butters wrote:
> > >
> > >                         The alteration youguys see on studebakers
hasn't been legal for some time,  many of these cars have been on the salt
for 30 or 40 years  and this was a popular  thing to do before it was made
illegal .  These cars  have this modification grandfathered to them.  Just
like there are a few 4 wheel drive roadsters that are no longer legal.
Like I said  earlier, walking around the pits to see what is legal in a
class will get you into trouble, and know  one preticularly  cars what you
do as long  as its not a safety item until you qualify for a record.  If
set a record in my class with a car that  I see as not conforming to the
rules  I ' d consider protesting you.  You need to remember that  when you
go thew inspection the inspectors  are not  looking at you car  as to class
conformity, they are doing a safety inspection.  So  follow  what the rules
say in altered, no areodynamic alterations to the body excepting the
covering  of  openings with flat p!
> !
> lates ,
> > no
> > > airdams unless!
> > >  they are fActory,  no flush mounting of window glass,  if you want
to build a comp. Coup build  one.  If you are  building  an altered from a
modern marshmellow car its more areo stock than I could ever get my
Studebaker,  Whatr they have going for them is looks and overall length.
In my opinion you will get into hot water venting  high pressure  areas
thew body panels.   L. Kvach Butters  BB/G Alt.  CC   #1392

> > > ----------

that
> > > ANY penetration consists of three elements, an intake, a ducting
section,
> > > and a vent, weather it is a home air conditioning unit like your
example,
> > > or the other extreme such as a hole in a piece of aluminum foil, in
which
> > > the "intake" would be one face of the foil, the "duct" would be about
.008"
> > > long (the thickness of the material), and the "vent" would be the
other
> > > face of the foil which the medium (air in our case) flowed towards.
> > > therefore, a commercial naca duct placed in a body panel would also
consist
> > > of these three elements, which leads us to the original question - is
> > > naca duct in a hood or fender considered a duct or a vent (or both !)
?????