Re: Pinion Angles

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pinion Angles
From: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 16:34:49 -0400
At 12:51 PM 5/31/99 -0700, Keith Turk wrote:
>So the normal pinion angle is compromised quite a bit... John Beckett
>brings up a real good point of why we don't want a straight Drive line...
>(the needle bearings won't rotate in the U-joints) and upon close
>inspection of the rear U-joint I can see little lines that the bearings
>creased in the Post on the thrust side of the Joint...

        You may have answered the question why your drive shaft made an exit at
170 MPH. The groves on the trunion cross were due to the rollers not
rolling. And that was due to insufficient angle. To much angle is no good
either, no more than 4 degrees on one end and an opposite equal angle on
the other end. Keeping the transmissions and the pinion parallel to each
other.

        Your adjustable suspension may need some geometry checks.

        John Beckett