"Gear Heads"

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: "Gear Heads"
From: Jane McMeekin <jmcmeekin@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 23:49:36 -0400
"Gear Heads" have passion for cars and engins that "Gear Heads" alone
understand. I can hardly wait for my e-mail to check for car stuff. I
read with great interest every letter that comes my way, and feel a
sense of disappointment when the number doesn't exceed ten or twelve.
However, listening seems to be a lot easier then sending. But since you
asked, Keith....

The McMeekin Bros. are two or three old drag racing guys who enjoy a
good challenge, and have always liked doing things the hard way. We
never read the instructions until we have wasted hours trying to
assemble something without them. The "car" that we race at Maxton is a
'78 Buick Skyhawk powered by a 183 C.I.D. (3 Liter) Buick Alum. V8
engine. We chose the car because it was cheap and the engine because
there are almost no racing parts available for it in the whole world.
(Kind of like a tank engine, I guess). We are happy to share any
information concerning the engineering particulars, but this letter
could get really long.

The car was finished several years ago (1997) and as the Maxton regulars
know, we worked our tails off for two years with unimpressive results.
Time to read the instructions! Recently, we have made changes to the
induction system, air dam, car weight, and internal engine components.
The speeds have progressed from 134mph to our current record of 150+.
Perhaps we should have listened to those guys at Maxton a little earlier
- naw - that would have been too easy.
Don