spoilers & weight

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: spoilers & weight
From: Gene Halvorson <ghalvors@pressenter.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:36:27 -0500
Both Darrel Ferguson and Thomas Bryant have raised some issues that perhaps
they can expound on.  I am running a big-block 74 Vette.  It has a later
model "duck-tail" type spoiler.  I didn't consider the pocket that is
created behind the car.  Does anyone have any pros/cons about a spoiler
versus a wing?

The issue of CG and traction makes me wonder what is the ideal point of CG?
 I would suppose it depends on the frontal and rear loading of the
aerodynamic factors of the individual car.  I suspect the Vette has a
pretty high frontal loading and a much less rear because of the shape.  I
will balance the car to find out just where the CG is but how do you
calculate where it should be with the loading factors?  I'm sure this body
style has seen the salt hundreds if not thousands of times.  I'm a newby so
if anyone has some experianced insight, I would appreciate your comments.

Also, I am having trouble finding a vendor for tires here in Minnesota that
understands what I need.  3500 lb car and low 200's mph.  Any sugestions?