Re: Speedweek & World of Speed

To: richard jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Speedweek & World of Speed
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:00:51 -0700
Richard,

Either meet is a true experience of a lifetime. Too many of us who have
been doing this so long forget that we are a select few in the world
that have been granted the opportunity to drive down the "long black
line". I reflect on this often and feel privileged to be able to attend
and compete in these events.

I have participated in 38 Speedweeks and all World of Speed meets. The
personnel at both meets do a tremendous job of running the events. If
driving a car is your primary goal, then, in my opinion, the World of
Speed wins hands down. It has a smaller number of entries, and
consequently, a more laid-back atmosphere, and usually you can get more
times down the course.

The opportunity to compete in the 130 & 150 MPH Clubs are not available
at Speedweek. A word of caution here...I don't know what rules govern
these classes, but in my opinion, roll bars should be required in
anything that runs on the salt. We had a bad experience at the lakes
years ago with a "140 MPH roll bar rule". A Ford Falcon Sprint ran 136
MPH on its first pass, then on the second rolled over and killed the
driver. It is difficult to put this out of mind.

Speedweek holds a big attraction to me because of the affiliation I have
had over the years. It is a "Homecoming" of sorts for many of us. But
then there have been few meets held at Bonneville since my introduction
to the sport that I have missed. Just being on the Salt is a thrill for
me. I hope you get to live your dream!!

Tom