Salt conditions

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Salt conditions
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:29:27 -0600
>Hey Dan heard anything about the salt conditions lately?
>
>Keith
Your question prompted me to call Rick Vesco who was out helping to layout
the course yesterday(7/11/99).  So here is the latest news, and its all
good news!  There is lots of good DRY salt.  Rick says there is no water
anywhere.  Says the salt is rock hard.  There had been concerns that the
new salt from the restoration project might not bond properly with the
surface of the old salt, but that seems not to be any problem.  They were
able to layout a 9 mile long course, and a 5 mile short course.  Rick says
that the current layout will allow for runs to be made in both directions,
which hasn't been avaliable for some time. Last year there was at best a 7
mile long course, with runs only being made toward floating mountain. So
unlike last year, the outlook for racing is excellent.  Rick says it was
100 out there yesterday, and that Dave Koehler is out there today working
also.  So when Dave gets back I will get some more bits of info from him.
Starting to feel like race season.
Dan Wright
Dept. of Human Genetics, University of Utah
dan@saltflats.com
Utah Salt Flats Racing Association
"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know it can't be done"