Re: Newbie wants new class - originator replies

To: "Land Speed Record Listserver (E-mail)" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie wants new class - originator replies
From: "David Haile (ICG Software)" <dhaile@woodward.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:52:03 -0500
I'm going to see if I can get two others to join me to create the class, as
suggested by others.  I'll get a copy of the NHRA electric drag rules and
make a "plan" to present to the SCTA.  I would expect to outline slots for
future classes at the same time.  For instance, 24V, 48V, 96V, 144V, etc.
In my humble opinion, voltage equates to power similar to the way
displacement does for internal combustion engines.  If a 50cc motorcycle
class exists, why not a 24V class?

More Q's to help me start thinking about it: I will be ordering the rule
book soon, and maybe this stuff is covered in the book.

NHRA doesn't allow "bicycle components" for some reason.  Any similar rule
for SCTA?  I might want to use a wheel based on BMX-type components if I can
get them trued and balanced to handle 80 mph or so.  Tires may be a
different story and may axe the whole idea.  I just want to know if there is
a rule that would even prohibit exploring that option.

Speed vs. Safety Requirements - I would guess the safety rules are different
for a 21 mph barstool than for a 300 mph streamliner.  If I followed common
sense and kept the driver out of harm's way as much as possible, would I
pass the safety inspection?  (Especially considering that it would probably
be entered in the motorcycle class.)