Re: Motorcycle Streamliner

To: "Tom Neimeyer" <3cbxs@ev1.net>, "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motorcycle Streamliner
From: "Jim Bickford" <jbickford@volcano.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 09:28:09 -0700
Tom,

Motorcycle streamliners are probably the most difficult vehicle to
design of all the wheel driven Bonneville cars/motorcycles.

We have run all types/classes of motorcycles at Bonneville for
over 20 years. They set records from 100-219 mph. The greatest
limiting factor was traction. The turbocharged fuel bike we ran last
in 91 could spin the rear tire for 5 miles. We could go from a 240 mph
down run to a return run of 200 mph because of traction problems.
We considered a motorcycle streamliner project but decided to
build a car streamliner powered by the motorcycle engines instead.

There are currently only three motorcycle streamliners: Dennis Manning,
Sam Wheeler and Kenny Lyons.

Dennis is in Nevada City CA. and has a web site: bubent.com
Don Vesco is in Murrieta CA (909-677-0750) web site: teamvesco.com

If you are headed to World Finals next week at Bonneville I know that
Don, Dennis and possibly Sam will be there. If not give Don a call,
he is the most knowledgeable person to talk to about motorcycle
streamliners you could ever find. He also has a whole garage full of parts
and pieces.

Jim