Air Ride Lessons(long)

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Air Ride Lessons(long)
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:23:12 -0700
Someone mentioned that I had tested out this system and I oughta write down
what I learned... so here it is ( I know I have done bit's and pieces along
the way I just can't remember if I ever did the whole story)

First off the Ride quality for an air ride is unmatched by a normal
suspension... Based on my limited knowledge of what Race cars feel like
with both systems.
The Air ride simply takes away all the vibrations and I don't have a
Problem reading my instruments and so on...  and on the Salt where you
really have time to read the gage... you can tell about how much down force
the car has on it based on the increase in Air pressure

Second Loading the car on a trailer is an absolute joy.... in comparison to
the fiasco I had to deal with before the air ride.

What I did was buy a whole system from Air Ride Technology's and it worked
as advertised..... What I would do different after having raced the car for
a year and installed the system is kind of interesting...

I wouldn't buy a complete system..... and I wouldn't install it on the back
as my only system of suspension.  What I mean by that is that I would use
it to control basic ride height but I am going to install a set of Coil
over shocks and use the air ride to help adjust corner weights on the rear,
and to help in loading.

The system I have has Double convoluted front airsprings with a Sleeve rear
air bag... the front's have a flat plate bolted to a steel canister (top
and bottom) and this assembly takes the place of the front coil spring...
No air pressure allows the A arms to come up and max Pressure extends the
unit to allow about 7" of travel.

in the cockpit I have two paddle controls with a single Twin needle gage
that allows me to tell how much air is in the systems (front and rear)...
in the future I plan on separating the system to a complete individual
control system.... in other words every wheel will have it's own Paddle
control and needle on the gages to tell me exactly what I have for air
pressure.... and I plan on developing a system of capturing Max Pressures
to tell me just how much Down force there is on each wheel....

The whole system is Plumed with 1/4" air line that simply connects into the
fitting's and I have never had the first leak .... that was an initial
concern... but after a year... they still hold exactly the same amount of
air over an extended Period....( I was just out in the shop studing the
Turbo mounting situation and it dawned on me that the air ride was still up
after 3 weeks of just sitting there and I wished I could get all my shop
air systems that good)

Be happy to answer any questions you have on the subject by the way....

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )