Re: Clutches

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutches
From: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:24:45 -0800 (PST)
>From what I could see, it looks like the flywheel
has two distinct sets of holes for mounting the
pressure plate, and one circle seems to be just
about 1" smaller than the other. The old truck
motor I have sitting on the ground next to the
rod is from a 4 speed 3/4 ton truck and has an
11" clutch.  I'll pull it off tonight and see if
it fits in before I go out and buy anything.  If
it's too big to install with the pan on, I may
just buy a 10".
This motor is all New/Old in the strictest since
of the word.  I bought the motor from a friend of
mine named Jess Harwood who runs a small hot rod
shop back on the edge of the Ozarks.  He got the
motor from the widow of a friend of his who ran
an Arkansas speed shop since before WWII, and was
somewhat of a legend back in the
Arkansas/Missouri/Oklahoma Ozarks (probably
building moonshine cars).  His friend built the
motor to be the "ultimate" flattie back in the
'50s, then used it as a display item in his
office. It had never been run.  When Jess got it,
he pulled the heads, and dropped the pan to check
everything out.  He said it had an Isky cam but
didn't know the grind.  He measured the bore and
stroke and determined that it was a 3 3/8 X 4 =
286 CID.  He commented that it had one of the
best porting and relieving jobs he had ever seen.
 Its running 3/2s on an Isky manifold and Evans
heads.  Jess buttoned the motor back up and test
ran it on the stand - that's when he called me.
When I heard it run, I bought it on the spot.
I plan on breaking it in slowly at the local drag
strip (read slow shifting and easy on the clutch
and red-line), then taking it to Maxton. I'm
bolting it into a 2x4 custom made frame with
solid bolted front I-Beam from a 49 Ford P/U, and
solid bolted Chevy Camaro 10 bolt with 3.08:1s
and posi.  The body is (apparently) a 1923 Dodge
roadster.  My plan is to run 26.5 tall H-rated
street tires on the back. The computer says it
should be a fun ride. I'm still looking for a
good cage for it, and plan on using a ballistic
blanket around the bell housing - unless you can
give me better guidance on that.  I've
constructed the front and rear (lack of)
suspension so that if I decide I want springs at
either or both ends after I try it, everything is
bolted and is lined up right where I can make an
easy conversion. The wheelbase is a little
shorter than i'd really like, at 98.5", but that
was the frame I had to work with and I didn't
have the $$$ to just go out and start fresh.  If
the mechanicals prove to have potential, I may
put together a longer wheel base frame for the
next season.  Any guidance will certainly be
appreciated.

=====
Dick J - - ECTA #72
G/FCC  -  FX/GMR