Re: The most basic question of all...

To: "Seeley, Dale E" <Dale.Seeley@usa.xerox.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The most basic question of all...
From: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:30:51 -0800 (PST)
I can't help but answer this.  A couple of years
ago I built up a Geo Storm for autocrossing, but
have always wanted to do Land Speed Racing.  I
also had a Dodge drag car, and was going to
convert it into an LSR car, but sold it too soon.
 My wife convinced me to run the Geo as an LSR
car, and, rather than be an "LSR couch potatoe",
I did what she suggested.  IT WAS THE BEST
WEEKEND OF RACING I'D HAD SINCE THE SPRING OF
1957!!!  Just pick a Maxton race weekend, take
that Dodge Neon, and head down Interstate 95
until you start seeing a bunch of smilin' older
guys with cars on trailers!  You'll never be
happier in your life!!!!!!!!!!!

--- "Seeley, Dale E" <Dale.Seeley@usa.xerox.com>
wrote:
> I've been lurking the list for about a year now
> and have enjoyed the topics,
> including all of the old engine stuff, a lot
> more than I would have
> expected.  The latest fuel thread was quickly
> over my head, but later posts
> did a really good job of making it
> understandable to a person like myself.
>
> One thread I haven't seen yet regards new
> participants getting into the
> sport.  I joined SCTA about the same time I
> found the mailing list, and have
> since found the ECTA website and many of your
> own personal websites.
>
> I haven't quite figured out where Maxton is
> yet, but I'm sure it's closer to
> the Northeastern states than the Saltflats are.
>  I have a simple car, a
> Dodge Neon, by no means a record car, but it's
> a place to start.  If you
> lived in the Northeast, how would you go about
> getting involved in a meet?
> Where would you go and when?
>
> It's funny, I answer questions like this for
> people who are interested in
> autocrossing all the time.  I used to think I
> was answering an obvious
> question, but I've learned from trying to
> figure out Land Speed Racing that
> it's not as obvious as it seems sometimes.
>
> I'm not against going to the Salt at all, I'd
> just like an opportunity 'test
> the waters' before jumping in with both
> feet....
>
> Thanks for your patience,