Re: Spoiler Rules

To: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Subject: Re: Spoiler Rules
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:09:55 -0800
Darrell,
I'm not knocking your efforts to make inroads or push the boundaries. We
all prefer to live as close to the fence as is comfortable. Personally,
I'm not comfortable making waves, just don't like confrontations.

When we first appeared on the Salt with our present car, at Speedweek ,
no problem, we didn't get noticed because we didn't go very fast. At the
World of Speed we started to get it sorted out and drew a little
attention I guess, because when we arrived at the World Finals I was
immediately told that our car was illegal because of the altered wheel
wells. (Someone had said that the wheel well is part of the quarter
panel, so altering the wheel well was altering the quarter panel which
was not allowable.) We could only run for time!
Here I did get confrontive. We had built the car with the rules and
present running cars in mind. (George Field's car was running wheels
tucked into the confines of the body.) After a bit of discussion it was
decided that I had a good argument, so I was allowed to run the class
and the next year the rules stated that it was an allowable
modification.

You see, I am not against your trying something different. But, keep in
mind, on the Salt, the tech committee is God and the rule book is their
Holy Bible. It would be best to have this sorted out with them before
appearing in impound with much at stake. Good Luck!!

Tom