Re: Spoiler Rules

To: dfergus@bactc.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spoiler Rules
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:10:56 EST
In a message dated 11/15/1999 2:01:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dfergus@bactc.com writes:

<<
 I'm just trying to figure out which way to go! I left drag racing to move to
 a less restrictive form of racing (SCTA). I have heard others on the list
 echo similar sentiments regarding the NHRA and how many racers despise what
 they have come to represent in the name of hot rodding. It all goes back to
 how the rules are interpreted. I have received at least 5 DIFFERENT personal
 interpretations of the rules regarding a rear spoiler in the altered class.
 Again, whenever there is a gray area, how does each person read the rule?
 For a competitor who already has a rear spoiler of a particular design,
 he'll read the rule in his favor. I get the impression that there will be a
 rule change, or clarification, in one direction or another, regarding
 Spoilers on both Altereds and Competition Coupes for the 2000 season. I have
 seen rules changed to allow competitors to try new ideas that were
 previously illegal for the altered class in the past. Many have suggested we
 take that approach, but again, our spoiler is not illegal as I see it and
 therefore didn't even think twice about lobbying for a rule change. We're
 not trying to cheat, or break the rules, and if I had something to hide, I
 certainly wouldn't have put pictures of anything questionable on the  BLACK
 RADON ENGINEERING Homepage. We haven't even teched our car yet, and the
 controversy we're generating is only from a couple of pictures.
 Unfortunately I feel as though we're already off to a great start making
 friends with the SCTA Inspectors, and other members of this list. At the
 rate we're going here at BLACK RADON, we'll be racing with no rear spoiler
 at all, or be forced to run for time only. I guess my point is that the
 people that I idolize in the world of motorsports are those who consistently
 think outside the box, people who push the boundaries to break new ground.
 Along those lines, my brother, father and I want to bring that attitude with
 us to the salt and I get the impression it's already hurting us.

 Darrell Ferguson >>
Darrell,
    When I built my Modified Roadster I first established contact with the
chairman of the roadster rules committee, sending him sketches of what I
wanted to do. He answered all of my correspondence and I printed and saved
the reply correspondence.
    As the project progressed I sent him pics of the parts of the car that
were "pushing-the-rules-envelope" and got his opinion.
    If you submit the "grey-area" details of your proposed car to the rules
committee now you should get an opinion / reply that you can
"hang-your-hat-on", clearing the way for implenting the modification or
forgetting about it.
    Remember, the final test is when your car is sitting in impound after a
record run. If no one protests it at that time, or if it is protested and the
appeal is denied, then you're home free and the modifications you made that
pushed-the-envelope will by default establish precedent in the class.
    If the car is protested at impound during the event, the same committee
will evaluate the car and a decision will be made, either by them or the SCTA
Board. Why not just submit the question(s) to the committee now and save a
lot of anguish and "jawing" about it?.................Ardun Doug King