Re: Pierson Coupe and other Trivia from the "Old-Days"

To: lemay@hiwaay.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pierson Coupe and other Trivia from the "Old-Days"
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:59:02 EST
In a message dated 11/25/1999 4:47:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lemay@hiwaay.net writes:

<<
 Holy Moley Batman!
 Cal Poly, Santa Maria, PAtterson Ford. Yeow.
 Went to Poly Jan 1963 - June 1966, BS Aero Eng, 1972 -1774 Master of Eng.
 WIfe Went there 1972 -1974 BS Biochem. We lived in Santa MAria. Drag raced
 for Ford Drag Club there for a while. At the Jr Chamber of Commerce's strip
 at the airport. All gone now. Did an awful lot of street racing in Santa
 MAria. '66 Sunbeam Tiger, C gas specs. Still have the car. Building a LSR
 car now from Alpine Sunbeam.

 Wow again, hell we might even have met.

 mayf (my nickname)

Mayf,
    Aren't you in the "Deep-South" now? How did you end up at "Cow-Piley"? I
knew that the Santa Maria drag strip survived into the 60's or 70's but
didn't know who ran it. It was the Santa Maria Dragons when I was there. Was
a dragster guy named "Wild Bill Collier" still racing when you were there? He
was a retired Greyhound driver who lived in Shell Beach.
    In the mid 50's there was a strip at San Luis Obispo on the taxiway in
front of the old airport treminal. It was run by Jack (Hathaway)& Jerry's
(Gaskill) Auto Supply in SLO. Later, Jack had the VW dealership in town and
Jerry became a mfg.rep for, I believe, Monroe shocks. I still see Jerry at
the reunions.
    I still go back occasionally. During the late 60's-early 70's the
campus's grass airstrip was still operational and I'd fly my 1947 North
American Navion down to Poly Royal. Since they closed the grass strip and
did-away with Poly Royal when the rowdys caused a ruckus a few years back I
don't get down there nearly as much.
    When I started at Poly it was an all-male school with 3800 enrolled. My
sophomore year it went co-ed. Now the enrollment is 15,000+. My youngest son
couldn't even go there because the place is "impacted" (aka full) and he
wasn't "politically correct". Boy do I give them an earful when they solicit
the alums for contributions to pay the way for todays "politically correct"
students who can't pay their own way................You all in the GROUP have
a "Happy Turkey Day"
                                        Ardun Doug King in Castro's Valley, CA