Re: A-Bomb, Doug's Trip, and streetdriven racer rodz...

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A-Bomb, Doug's Trip, and streetdriven racer rodz...
From: "joe boogie" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:31:22 PST

11-26   5:30pm   edt

DICK:  "for my money" having a dual purpose car is what its all about.  I
think you'r on the  right track-though theres bound to be many here that
will totally disagree.  I think I'm right because none of us are getting any
younger, nor are we as disposed to want to be as serious as we were when we
were 20.  I don't posess the dedication any more thats neccessary to really
be competitive on the high level you need to be to think of yourself as a
really serious racer.
My car, Boogie Woogie, was built with Bonneville, and "nostalgia" Drag
Racin' in mind.  As you all know it takes a lot of extra effort to build a
car like that.
B.W. has a built in 1/4 wall D.O.M. Rollbar with a removable "funny car"
driver side cage made out of Chromoly that bolts in with about a dozen grade
8  7/16 bolts and hardened washers. I tried to plan ahead to the day that I
might be able to afford to actually make my dream come true and make some
passes down the long black like in it! Its also got a 9" Ford with 31 spline
race axles, coilover Spax shocks, and a fully adjustable 4 link; the rest of
the car comes apart easily too with minnimal bolts, and Dzus fasteners -all
done that way with ease of adjustment and maintenance in mind should the
wonderful day arrive.   I'm NOT a rich man so have had to learn to be very
practical, hence the plan for a true "street & strip" Rod.  Lots more
opportunities to use it that way!  -Like long distance trips 'cross country!
Theres no-one near me that I'd call a real Hot Rodder so I have to travel to
visit or attend the better events in the northeast.  A typical weekend for
me and Boogie Woogie is about a 4 to 600 mile proposition.  I'm not
complainin'; every mile is a ball drivin'.  Though I wish I had the dinero
for an overdrive unit!   Geared with a 3.50, She sings out at 3,200 R's at
75 on the interstate.  Not hurtin' the motor none but she only gets about
15mpg, and ya can't talk or hear any radio either! (I took the durn thing
out....)

Anyway, far as I'm concerned you'r on th' right track, Dick!

B.T.W.  I've started to get "the itch" again an' am dreamin about buildin' a
warm flathead powered minimalist style Track T Roadster....you know the
kind;  an authentic to 1950 northern Cal. racing roadster.  Dual purpose of
course!  ....Anyway, your mention of photos of 1/4 elliptic spring
suspension got my attention!  Any way I could hornswaggle you out of some
copies?  Oh oh I gotta get off this thing. Theyre kicking us out of the
public library I'm in!

                          "Talk" to you soon,  Doug in N.Y.