Re: Vandenberg runway

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Vandenberg runway
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:23:23
The VAFB runway is 15000 ft of concrete. Built to take the weight of an
aborted shuttle polar shot with full load. The real problem is that VAFB is
an active base launching lots of Minuteman, Peacekeeper, Titan III and IV's
and public safety is a big concern. Now the National Missile Defense
programis launching from there as well (North VAFB, that is). IMHO it isn't
gonna happen, but I hope someone keeps trying! I spent 1967 -1975 and 1984
- 1990 there launching stuff and am pretty familiar with the area. Went to
school at San Luis Obispo, grew up in Oxnard/Port Hueneme, lived in Santa
Maria, etc.

mayf
At 10:11 AM 11/28/99 -0500, John Beckett wrote:
>    Wes
>
>    How long is the runway at Vandenburg anyway?  And whats at either end?
>If you think the Militay is wraped in red tape try the FAA. The big problem
>may be getting the base commander to let Gold Coast Roadsters Club/SCTA have
>it, not once, but six times a year.
>
>    There is a beautiful 15,000' strip of concrete in Oklahoma...old SAC
>base...about half way between East and West coast, but the FAA rules with
>iron fist.
>
>    John Beckett

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
1-256-837-1051

old >>>>>>>>  http://www.hsv.tis.net/~mayfield
new >>>>>>>>  http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemayf

DrMayf@AOL.com
lemay@hiwaay.net   <<<<preferred

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)