Re: type of cars

To: Nsmcafee@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: type of cars
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 00:23:13 EST
In a message dated 11/30/1999 8:09:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Nsmcafee@aol.com writes:

<<
 I am trying to get started in land speed racing and would like to ask some
 very basic question reguarding the sport. I like the 53 or 54 studebaker car
 for the class GCC. Is this practical or do you need a late model body style
 to be competive.
##########
    Larry,
    Welcome to the group. The Loewy-designed 1953-61 Studebaker coupes were
very aerodynamic for their day, thus their popularity for LSR from the 50's
to the present day. I don't know how they stack-up against the 1980's and
later coupes but I'm sure one of the other members will offer some insight.
##########

I would like to compete in the D class 261 thru 305cid. Is a
  283 chevy motor with fuel injection anything to use or is this a bad
choise.
 Also what kind or transmission should you use, an automatic or a standard. I
 have a rule book and have been studing it but I still don't understand what
 falls in the XO class.

###############
    The XO class covers 59 and earlier inline engines (both OHV and
flathead). The reason for the year break was the advances in engine
technology that evolved after 1959 such as 7 main bearing blocks by GM. The
1959 and earlier "Inliners" are considered to be the early technology and
cannot compete well with the later technology. The XF class breaks at 1954
when Ford introduced their first 5-main bearing OHV V8, replacing the
venerable "Flathead" 3-main bearing "sidevalve" V8.
##################
 It says over head valves engines, does this mean V8 as long as it is 1959 or
earlier or is this inline 6 cyl.
########### See above.#############
Should a person use a quick change rear end  or does this take to much H.P.
to turn it.
########## Your choice. The QC might take a little more power than a modern
rear-end, but the ease of changing gear ratios is a factor. If you buy a
modern QC it is available with the good slide-in axles etc. Starting out with
a used QC you will have to do some converting to get pre-1948 axle housings
converted to modern axles with built-in safety hubs. If you go to a modern 9"
Ford (Mustang, Maverick, Ford) you can order from a wide range of ratios and
axle lengths with the housing pre-cut to the correct width.
I have been trying to find some books that would help a rookie like me get
started,if anybody can give me any information I would be grateful.

  Thanks Larry