Re: Electronics and New Stuff

To: "Parks, David" <David.Parks@lfr.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electronics and New Stuff
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:22:33 -0500
David

Nice to have you on the list. Sorry to hear your not going to be racing with
us in 2000.

I hope I can correct a typical misunderstanding here that EFI...and thats
all I'm talking about here...is exceedingly more expensive than other forms
of fueling. What's the price on a new Kinsler or Hilborn mechanical
injection system today?? Or even a new Demon carburetor? They ain't cheep
and by the time you add in manifolds, pumps, regulators, EGT, lines and such
your not all that far from the EFI system anyway.

I don't think Electronics and New Stuff will hurt this sport at all. We have
all talked about how we like the creativity and innovation in LSR. Take that
away and we really will have a problem. If anything will kill this sport it
is lack of growth. Keep it interesting and exciting and we'll be OK.

John from Asheville

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome! I have no misunderstanding, but I didn't buy much
new ANYTHING for my car. I got my old set of Hilborns at a swap meet. But
that's just me, and I'm notoriously cheap.

I don't think "low-tech" is all that great, and you can sure go faster,
better, smarter, longer, with the new stuff. I just think it's important to
have a place where people with relatively little money can race and have a
good time. Not to say that people won't come out if they don't think they
can set a record, because some of my most enjoyable years were spent running
cars that I knew would never be within 50 mph of the record. It just felt
good to go relatively fast and not have to watch out for the cops.

Can we keep those feelings alive while having the new techno-cars moving the
records out of site for mere mortals? Probably, but I'm not sure it will be
such a fun place. I've often thought that it might help to establish some
more truly "stock" type classes that limit the dollars that can be invested.
It probably won't work to limit technology in the all-out race classes, and
we have enough classes now without having high- and low-tech versions.

I appreciate all the sentiments that I hear about not limiting technology.
After all, thats what racing is all about. But there is also something to be
said for the fun of making stuff out of a bunch of parts you have lying
around and having it work. you know, doing stuff on the garage floor with a
hammer and a drill, and then having to get all the stuff out of the way so
your wife can park her car. It just doesn't seem the same as plopping down
60 thousand dollars for a car with the new best of everything.

Maybe it's the fixation on points and records that gets in the way. I'm
afraid that I am just an old fart reminiscing over "the good old days".

By the way, do you have dates for the 2000 ECTA events?

regards,     David

David

Nothing wrong with building a car from used parts, we all do it, even built
engines myself with used pistons, rods, crank and heads. Now that I think
about it I bet 60% to 70% of my car is built from used parts. And one day
used EFI setups will be out there too.

Maybe what we need is a spec class car for those who just want to run for
cheep? 71 to 80 Camaro/Firebird w/stock body, 350 V-8, turbo 350, single 4
bbl carb.?

John