RE: Electronics and New Stuff

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Electronics and New Stuff
From: Beth Butters <bbutters@dmi.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:06:50 -0800
     Hi Dave, It's really good to have you on board.  I have enjoyed your
insights into the problem as I see it and  I'm afraid I didn't do a real good
job of expressing just where I am coming from. It was really neat to be racing
you for the CB/Alt record, to bad Ragsdales Stude wasn't up to the return run
so we could have had the record for a couple of minuets  before you got it. Bob
eventually got his car so it might have taken your record, but like you say a
bump of 75mph, yikes.  There is no question in my mind that an electronics
managed engine  is a superior way to go and it is really kind of fun to compete
against them, though somewhat futile I'm afraid. When  electronics and tubo's
are properly matted to a small block it's real hopeless. But in thinking about
this I guess I really hate to see the  cars of the pre marshmallow information
age disappear from serious competition and consequently their diminished
numbers from the salt.  Like the new fellow that was looking at racing, he
thought of the 53 Stude coupe, it just belongs on the flats, they hold  only 2
or 3 records, soon they will be gone . I'm afraid that in a few short years
any car between 1940 and l980 will be a real curiosity  because no matter what
anyone says, they dream of one day setting a record with their car.  I don't
know what the answer is, my car will be lettered BBG/ALT/n ( for nastalgia) and
hopefully  it will spark some interest in  keeping these great old cars on the
salt.  Kvach in North Idaho