4 speeds & other transmissions

To: "David Haller" <dhaller@techline.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 4 speeds & other transmissions
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:58:57 -0500
    Group

    Here's a little story. The first two years I ran at Bonneville, running
on Tom Bryant's record then, I had a T-400 in the car and we ran consistent
201's.  Also eat up three of those indestructible transmissions in the
process. So the third year we put in a 3-speed from a junkyard
Maverick...had to try something...lots of junkyard parts in my car...no high
dollar stuff here. Anyway rolled off the trailer in '92 and ran 212 MPH. Now
how much HP is 11 MPH worth at that speed? I calculate it to be over 50
HP...lost through the automatic. It was a big success for us as we actually
set a record that year. But to finish the story...took it to Moultrie later
that year and blew second gear on the concrete. Put in another trans...junk
yard again...and promptly blew second at Maxton this time. A little
difference in traction from salt to concrete...ya think. The only option
left was to go for a beefy 4-speed...and there ain't none to be found in the
junkyards this time. Did find this Top Loader rebuilt but still cheep
enough...and have been using it ever since. It was several years before I
but the "D" motor back in the car to use with the 4-speed...but when I did
it ran a best of 219 MPH...because it accelerated better due to less RPM
drop between gear shifts.

    So back to your question Dave. First off use a push start. Second keep
the ratios as close as possible. I've never been able to hook up a low first
gear at Bonneville anyway...always wind up short shifting to keep it
straight. I currently have ratios of 2.32, 1.69, 1.21, 1.0 and this first
gear is still to low. When you can't put all your power through all your
gears your not accelerating as fast as possible anyway, which will
ultimately effect the top speed. Remember were talking 1 to 5 MPH here. The
other thing is to keep the torque multiplication going on a long as possible
with low RPM drops between shifts.

    I have been running the Ford Top Loader with no ratio options. A racing
T-10 has a few options the best being a 2.43, 1.46, 1.18, 1:1 and a 2.42,
1.34, 1.13, 1:1 but both being very hard to find, but not impossible.

    Now the Tex Racing T-101 on the other hand has a huge variety of ratios.
Combinations you wouldn't believe, from a 1.43 first to a .86 OD gear if you
want. This trans has a new 3.5" centerline that helps make it tons stronger
than even the Jerico...which I understand Kugal broke in '98. And with a new
gear tooth profile and low inertia eats very little HP. Guess what I'm
putting in my car for 2000? If anyone is interested in one of these T-101's
contact me off list.

    Keep in mind as Ed VanScoy mentioned the 5 and 6-speed's generally
aren't rated for the HP many of us run on the Salt and especially at Maxton
where the traction puts more load on the driveline.

    Last but not least, If you don't use reverse take it out.

    One passing thought. For all the money I spent on the three T-400's and
the two 3-speeds, plus spares, I could have bought a new 4-speed and been
way ahead of the game. Low tech doesn't necessarily mean low dollar in the
long run.

    John Beckett
    Still have two Bonneville records left.