Re: Inertia Switches

To: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>,
Subject: Re: Inertia Switches
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 11:21:53 -0500
This is a not a good idea in all the racing i have done in the last 10
years or so since EFI came out.. There are a lot of reasons to set one
off starting with a bump from the push car.. They are as safe as any car
with a mechanical switch if installed correctly so that if the engine
stops the electric pump stops .. Just like a mechanical pump with a carb
or a Hilborn setup...Please don't encourage the rule makers to add
something that is very hard to test...And above all is a non issue maybe
they should check to see if the engine is shut off does the pump stop. I
bet there are a bunch of carb cars with electric pumps that are not
nearly as safe as EFI.. I know that you are a very good engineer , this
is my field of expertise though.. I have been there and done that from
designing EFI parts that have won the 24 hrs of Daytona several times
and lot of other world championships to 7 second doorslammers and 130mph
offshore race boats and won in all those areas...Oh set a couple of
records at the salt just for fun too...
Dave Dahlgren
Engine Management Systems