Re: Streamlined body

To: HKMNSTRODS@aol.com, joetimney@dol.net
Subject: Re: Streamlined body
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:11:19 -0700
Skip, Joe and list,
This talk about Studebakers got me reminiscing...  about the one I built for
the salt in '59, and the guy who built the engine for me.
Keith was talking about Tom Bryant taking a long time to get into the 2
Club.
Don West of Pleasant Grove, UT first ran on the salt in 1950 with a '32 Ford
fenderless coupe with a flathead, then the same car with a Chrysler engine,
then a belly tank lakester with the Chrysler,  a '53 Stude that was the
fastest STOCK bodied doorslammer at the time(no sectioned front fenders or
chopped top) with times in the upper 190's, a Corvair with the Chrysler,
(air intake for the supercharger coming through the windshield) and finally
a '74 Firebird that went 247.467 in B/BFALT in 1988, over 38 years after he
started.  The last car Don ran on the salt was a '64 Austin-Healey Sprite
with an Olds Quad 4 engine and the worlds tallest roll cage.  His son Marty
ran laps in a Monza with a SB Chev in the upper 180's range at a couple of
the early World of Speed meets.  Marty took home the award for most runs
clocked ... a rather dubious distinction.
Tom Bryant took about eight years less than Don.  They both had a lot of fun
and lots of frustration.
Wes