Re: January issue - reply to letter from Ken Walkey

To: "Beverly C. Stanley" <beverlycst@earthlink.net>, mcgonegal@petersenpub.com
Subject: Re: January issue - reply to letter from Ken Walkey
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 21:02:53 -0700
Bev and list,
I had trouble sending an email to McGonegal so I sent it to his boss, Steve
Campbell, <campbels@petersenpub.com>  with a request that it be forwarded to
McGonegal.
Then a bit of smart thinking got through on a land line ...!
I had a phone call from Bud McManus, one of the lurkers on this list who
gave me a better approach than the one I had used and I appreciate his
level-headed thinking about it.  He suggested contacting McGonegal and
requesting that he include an article about a land-speed car in each issue.
Since most of us got started in the sport through reading the earlier issues
of Hot Rod when it recognized sand-speed racing as part of the sport, we
should have a wealth of information about cars from around the US that would
be of interest to the "drag race, van and 2000 cc turbocharged import sport
coupe crowd" that now reads the magazine.
I'm afraid I did us ( here I'm assuming that I speak for the land-speed
lovers) a disservice by not thinking as clearly and farsightedly as Bud.  He
points out that if we approach the Petersen Publishing crowd with a way to
reach more readers  they would be much more receptive to our voices.  My
knee jerk reaction was more of a hinderance than a help to the sport as a
whole.  Any suggestions would be appreciated and we'll try to approach it
from a new angle.  I do know Ro McGonegal is a personal friend of Larry
Volk, the Save the Salt Chairman.  He has to know something about land-speed
racing with that contact.
What can we do and how should we do it?
Wes Potter