Re: Peterson Museum

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: Re: Peterson Museum
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:05:11 -0700
That is certainly the best use for a corner with a rather strange history of
retail stores and failures.  The monster truck  perched twenty feet in the
air on the Fairfax side did nothing to pique my interest but once inside I
was enthralled with the dioramas and the L S history they described.  The
place is well done from a visitors standpoint.
I used to work five blocks down Wilshire.  The store (which dated from the
twenties) was closed 25 years ago after the second customer was shot and
killed in a robbery in the parking lot.  This was in the "Miracle Mile" ...
in the '30's to '50's an extremely nice part of the Los Angeles shopping
scene.  With the L A County Art Museum complex across the street and on to
the East for a couple of blocks and the La Brea tar pits right there, it has
been a big part of business, culture and a valuable part of oil production
history too.
The Petersen building is two blocks away, Bob Petersen has to get some
satisfaction from seeing the place on a frequent basis.  Certainly a nice
thing to do for the community.  I'm just wondering how they got so very far
in the hole financially.
Wes