V6 & Dynamometer

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, V4GR@aol.com
Subject: V6 & Dynamometer
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 08:30:24 -0500 (EST)
Hi Rich.  That's interesting about the Nissan V6 3 liter.  Is it the
300ZX sports car engine?  My brother Tom had one of them back then.  We
took a trip with it once and I was impressed with the smoothness, power
and general refinement of the car, almost bought it from him.

I was intrigued that you apparently have a dyno in your (home?)
workshop.  Wondering how that could be, the typical city or suburban
neighborhood would probably generate noise complaints and the police
would be knocking on your door.  Even if you could somehow contain the
exhaust noise, the rest of the 'fury' would still be substantial.  But
maybe your shop is in an industrial zone and it's ok.

No question a dyno would be of great value in this hobby.  What kind do
you have, and how did you get it in there?

Talking to Clem TeBow a while back, he told me he and Don Clark got
access to the Wil-Cap dyno early in the CT Automotive days, and "you can
learn more in a day with a dyno than in years of taking your equipment
to the lakes".

Talking to Don Ferguson Jr. a few weeks ago, he said he and his dad had
a dyno and for many years had run their Arduns and GMCs on it before
they put them in a car.  Not only do you test power and reliability,
but, he said, you can find out what's gonna leak and fix it before you
get out there!  Don is the man who bought Don Orosco's Ardun repro
tooling and is now building another batch of 10 sets.

Regards,  ArdunBill