Re: LSA

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: LSA
From: "Beverly C. Stanley" <beverlycst@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 17:19:12 -0800
Hi John,
As one of the few people who was involved with LSA from the very beginning (as
was Glen Barrett) my "insight" into the history of the LSA will be slanted from
my point of view - so make sure to take it with a grain of salt.
The LSA was originally started because BNI members were having such a hard time
dealing with FIA. Each entrant would pay several thousand dollars to the pool
for an FIA "steward" - the steward would show up with NO information - no one
knew, nor could find out what the rules were - so entrants were sometimes
disqualified even before running because they didn't know about obtaining an FIA
drivers license, didn't know about the FIA certified physical examination for
the FIA drivers license, etc. -
Then even if they did manage to meet all of the requirements and set a record,
they could never get their record certified by the FIA board in France. Several
people set records and waited upwards of fifteen years before receiving
acknowledgement of the record from FIA. Anyway -
The idea then for LSA was to provide a sanctioning body which would provide
record certifications based upon "international rules". The original plan was to
duplicate all of the FIA standards and practices and then certify and publish
"international" record attempt results.

For one or two racing seasons that is exactly what happened - then the LSA Board
started creating new classes which defeated the entire purpose of the original
plan and simply duplicated existing BNI/SCTA vehicle classes. A lot of other
really iffy stuff started to happen and most of the original LSA supporters
dropped away.
Anyway - the LSA did accomplish one important thing - it got some of the dimwits
at the FIA excited enough to actually take an interest in certifying
international record attempts in less than five years.
Thats what I know
Bev in Eagle Rock