Of rears and horsepower and speeds

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Of rears and horsepower and speeds
From: Richard Kensicki <richk@sparta-junction.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 21:10:10 -0500
The land-speed mail is getting exhausting so I've got some new questions

1. How much HP is lost through the rear end? An article about a
competition coupe (early 90's) used a 7.5 rear gear because it took 10
less HP  to turn it (compared to a 9) and the salt is too slick to hook
up the rear and overload it. I would think a 9 inch rear would be needed
to run the paving at Maxton.

2. Noticed that no one seems to use a quick change rear (what I've seen
at least), is it the cost or drive train loss?

3. Anyone want to estimate how much HP would be needed push a D/GMR to
225? I see that the record is from 93 at 223 by B. Unser. Is that the B.
I think it is? This record is very close to C/GMR of 225. Was this just
a hot setup that worked and made the record difficult to break?

4. I'm waiting on a rule book but wanted to know if going to fuel or
blower bumps you up a class without a cubic inch change? Thought I read
that somewhere but can't verify it.

Rich