Motorcycle Land-Speed records

To: Amy Holland <editor@friction-zone.com>
Subject: Motorcycle Land-Speed records
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:46:54 -0500
Amy
My best reference is W (Will) E Cook at Brooklands England on 16 June 1909
riding an NGL of 944cc at 75.97 mph.  As the car drivers started their
records in 1898 at Acheres in France and there were motorcycles at that
event on an 'approved record course' (I have seen a copy of the entry list)
I would guess this 1909 year might only be the date from which the FIM (or
its earlier body) decided to make it 'official'.  As the LSR list is full
of racers and enthusiasts with knowledge on such matters you may get a
better answer.  Can you explain why you need such information and what the
magazine is  ?
Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.
Project Administrator for Team Maximum Impulse.
Operators of the fastest two wheeler in the World - the Gillette Mach3
Challenger - 333 mph average in the kilo, 365 mph top speed (using 60%
power).