Lakes & Dust

To: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
Subject: Lakes & Dust
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:10:39 -0800
John,
I am glad to hear that you are planning a trip to Muroc 2000. I suppose
that puts more pressure on me to visit Maxton.

Dust is a big problem when running the Lakes. I have always had a little
dust in the car, particularly on the first few hundred feet, but when a
little speed is built enough air enters the driver's compartment through
the fresh air scoop to push it out. However, after we rebuilt the car
after the wreck, I changed the bottom of the car and added skirting,
this made a vacuum cleaner out of it and I really got dusted out and had
to shut off.

Even after removing the shirt and taping all the holes we could find it
was still dirtier than I would like. Last year I cut a couple of 1 1/2"
holes in the windshield  and that cured the problem. If there is a
negative pressure in the car it is almost impossible to keep the dust
out.

I have also had problems with wind blowing dust across the course and
obscuring vision. Lakes racing is a very heads up sport, lots of people
close to the course, sometimes crossing the course, wind, dust, and
short acceleration and stopping distances. No matter how long you have
been racing, if you are a first time Lakes contestant, you are a rookie!
It is definitely a different environment.

Tom, Redding CA 9:10AM PST